Motherhood. The struggle is real. From endless feedings to dirty diapers, mothers everywhere have more than earned a day like Mother’s Day in their honor. While it’s important to show appreciation for any handmade craft or card our children make for us; it’s also nice get a “little” something special on Mother’s Day. (I hope you’re reading this my “mostly” wonderful husband). You don’t have to break the bank to buy that special mother a small token of appreciation. (Unless of course you go for #8 – Just Saying.) All jokes aside, sighted or blind, my Top “10” list of Mother’s Day Gift Ideas will help you choose the perfect present to thank the special women in your life.
- Wonder Woman Cookie Jar ($64.00): You don’t have to be a comic book fan to understand the hidden meaning behind Westland Giftware’s Ceramic Wonder Woman Cookie Jar. Moms are every day super heroes (without the thigh high boots and cape). This cookie jar would be an adorable addition to any kitchen and the best part is your kids will love it too.
- Shutterfly Photo Gifts ($10 and up): I’m a sucker for anything that has a picture of my kids on it, regardless of my blindness. As someone who makes a lot of photo gifts throughout the year, Shutterfly has never disappointed me. From pillows, to throws, coffee mugs and desk plaques; they literally have it all. The quality is amazing and you can easily find coupon codes to land a pretty steep discount or at least free shipping by searching online.
- Kate Spade Cedar Street Confetti Dot Lacey Wallet ($106.00 – ON SALE): Just because I’m visually impaired doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate a nice print – especially when it’s on leather. I only use wallets that have a zipper to ensure all my personal belongings, cash and credit cards stay put. Kate Spade’s Confetti Dot has 12 card slots, 2 billfold compartments and one middle zip pocket. A light cream color, this wallet is adorned with golden polka dots.
- Lenny & Eva Bracelets ($60 dollars and up): I stumbled across this website purely by accident during a nightly feeding. Lenny & Eva help women tell their own personal story through their jewelry. The site offers various quotes and inspirational sayings on metal plates in either antique brass or silver. You can then choose a leather cuff or beaded bracelet and attach your plate. Other options include bangles, leather wraps and necklaces that can also adorn your chosen sentiment. I especially like the different plates about mothers and children. They also offer a Helen Keller quote and “Love is Blind” plate that has braille beneath the wording.
- Jim Shore Disney Traditions Keepsake ($20 dollars and up): I’ll admit it; I’m a total Disney freak. As someone who grew up watching these classic movies; I really enjoy sharing each film with my daughters. Jim Shore creates resin figurines of classic Disney characters. He is also known for his whimsical Christmas ornaments and angels. Jim’s website really has something for everyone and offers options in every price range. My personal favorite – “A Mother’s Love, Mrs. Potts & Chip.”
- Love You to the Moon & Back Pillow ($49.00): This 15″ shabby chic pillow captures an emotional saying for every mother – “I love you to the moon and back.” It would make a lovely addition to any home, no matter what the décor.
- Carved Creations ($149.00): I love Carved Creations and have quite a few pieces of their jewelry including their stacking ring set and sleek name band. Last Mother’s Day, I received their Life Names Page Pendant Heart and it’s totally gorgeous. Each pendant has the names of your family (up to five names) deeply etched into both sides of a sterling silver heart. Carved Creations then attaches Gem-Tag birthstones for each name that hang on your choice of either a 20”, 24” or 36” chain. You must order by May 5th to ensure Mother’s Day delivery.
- Tiffany & Co. Sunglasses ($290 and up): Maybe it’s because my first name is Holly. Maybe it’s because I live in New York. Whatever the reason, this legally blind lady will giggle with excitement if I know a certain turquoise box is coming my way. Tiffany and Company is a world renowned New York jeweler, but they also make stunningly gorgeous sunglasses. As someone who wears sunglasses all the time for light sensitivity, I have to admit I would love a pair of these gorgeous shades. The likelihood of this pipe dream coming to fruition is slim to none, but if you have the funds to spoil a mom this Mother’s Day, let me suggest the Tiffany Enchant Cat Eye Sunglasses.
- Amazon Echo ($179): I received the Amazon Echo as a belated Christmas/birthday present this year. For someone who’s visually impaired, it’s a handy little gadget. Echo plays all your music from Prime Music, Spotify, and Pandora. The speakers and sound are fantastic. It answers questions, reads audio books, gives me the news, weather and traffic. The machine also has the capability to control lights and thermostat switches in your home, but I have yet to utilize this feature. The Alexa Voice Service hooks up to your home Wi-Fi and there is an app for your smart phone. My daughters love talking to “Alexa” because she tells some pretty cute, albeit corny, jokes for them upon request. Amazon is now offering a cord free version of the Echo, the Amazon Tap, which I would recommend as opposed to this older model. It’s smaller, cheaper ($129.00) and runs on a battery charge so the unit does not have to be plugged into an outlet at all times.
- Garden of Love Engraved Flower Pot ($28.95): Personalization Mall offers a wide variety of personalized gifts for Mother’s Day and this flower pot tops my list. This ceramic flower pot comes in either purple or red and can be engraved with the recipient’s or children’s names. The weather resistant pot is 5 ¼” high and comes with a saucer. Flowers are not included with this item, but children will love being able to pick out a plant to fill this thoughtful Mother’s Day gift.
Remember, what mothers really want on Mother’s Day is to feel appreciated for the hard work we do all year long. If you consider their own unique interests and give from the heart, then any gift you choose will be absolutely perfect…except a vacuum. Absolutely “DO NOT” buy us a vacuum. Gentlemen, you may thank me later! Happy Mother’s Day!