Me. Frances. One month. 26.2 miles! Guiding Eyes for the Blind, a non-profit organization dedicated to creating and supporting life-changing connections between people with vision loss and exceptional guide dogs, announced its first annual Wag-a-thon, a “virtual marathon in a month” fundraiser that begins today – May 1.
Guiding Eyes is challenging you and your four-legged best friend to walk or run a cumulative marathon – all while raising critical funds to support Guiding Eyes for the Blind’s mission to provide guide dogs to people with vision loss. Remember, you don’t have to be a guide dog user to participate! Frances & I are all ALL IN! Want to join us?
How It Works…
- Sign up. Go to GuidingEyes.org/wagathon to create your fundraising page, sign up as a participant or start a team with your friends, family or coworkers.
- Make a plan. Map out your plan to rack up 26.2 miles over the month of May.
- Rally support. Ask friends, family, and co-workers to support you with a donation – or to join the Wag-a-thon themselves!
- Get social. Post your mileage updates (don’t forget the selfies!) to social media using #wagathon and your personal Wag-a-thon page.
- Pat yourself and your pup on the back! Cross the Wag-a-thon virtual finish line by May 31.
Psst. The mileage? It’s on the honor system. Don’t cheat. Your four-legged friends are watching!
The Wag-a-thon is more than just wet noses and wagging tails! Participants who sign up to walk or run with their dogs will receive two limited edition “race bibs” upon registration: one for him/herself, and one for his/her dog. As an added incentive, Wag-a-thoners also have the opportunity to earn prizes through their fundraising, including t-shirts, doggie bandanas and a pair of person-and-pooch “finisher” medals upon completion of the requisite 26.2 miles within the month.
Walk Your Way Through May:
“Guiding Eyes is committed to enriching the lives of people who are blind or visually impaired, including helping them achieve their health and wellness goals,” said Thomas Panek, president and CEO of Guiding Eyes for the Blind.“Whether you run a marathon in a day or spread it out over the month of May, the Wag-a-thon is a great way for us to create an ‘all-in-this-together’ community of people and dogs alike, who are joining our mission.”
The Wag-a-thon kicks off on Tuesday, May 1 and continues through Thursday, May 31. Participants can sign up online and create a fundraising page now at www.GuidingEyes.org/wagathon, or join the social conversation using #wagathon. Keep an eye on Blind Motherhood’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to see Franny & I in action!